Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

can I combine data from two Questionnaires from SSI Web and analyse in SMRT

my colleague have done a CBC questionnaires with SSI Web last year and got 150 participants.Now I use the same CBC questionnaire (but as a new study in SSI Web and edit the questionnaire with the same content and different  layout,such as color and font size ) and got 140 participants.

so I have a problem:
How can I combine the date from each questionnaire from my colleague then analyse the whole date, which include 290 participants?

Because  we have 9 random choices in CBC part. the answer of my colleague is only according to his CBC version.  I don't think I can through Paper & Pencil Data function  to merge the respondent answers.
asked Mar 5, 2016 by jp245 (160 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
As long as both of the CBC exercises are exactly the same (they have the same number of attributes, each attribute has the same number of levels, the text of each attribute and level is the same, the same number of CBC tasks, the same number of concepts per task, etc.) then you can export the CBC exercise data as a .CHO file from each of your studies.

To export from Lighthouse Studio (formerly SSI Web), choose "Data Management" from the "File" menu, and then click the "Export Data" tab.  Click the "Add Job..." button, then click the "Add" button just below the Export Action list, then select the "CBC (.CSV, .CHO/.CHS, .ATT) option.  Choose ".cho/.chs, .att" as the File Format.

The .CHO file is a text file that contains the design the respondent saw as well as the concept that he/she chose.  You can then combine the two .CHO files from each of the studies by simply copying and pasting one of the two into the other using Microsoft NotePad.  Make sure you paste at the bottom of the .CHO file with no blank lines.  Finally, you can import the combined .CHO file into one of our analysis modules (like CBC/HB, for example) to estimate the utilities.
answered Mar 11, 2016 by David Squire Silver Sawtooth Software, Inc. (5,730 points)
Dear David,

I have a similar problem. I will conduct an ACBC experiment in two languages - I plan to host both surveys in parallel and send the link to the English version to international participants and the link to the German version to German-speaking persons. Thus, the design is exactly identical except for the "text body".

Can I proceed accordingly?

Thanks & best regards,
Christoph
Yes, Christoph.  You will be just fine as long as the conjoint designs are the same.