Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Character Encoding

Hi. I am having trouble with Chinese and French characters not displaying properly in some browsers (e.g. the French accents above the a or e). I believe I know why this is happening but not sure how to fix it.

It is happening (I believe) because (when text is copied from a word document) sawtooth uses Unicode character encoding and some browsers like Firefox will try to view the web page using Western character encoding. I believe certain settings in word (like Smart Quotes) causes some characters like apostrophes to be interpreted incorrectly by Western encoding

How do I get around this? I already declare the Unicode character encoding in the head meta tag, but some browsers seem to want to use western character encoding anyway. Do I need to fix this in Word? or is there a way to force browsers to use Unicode encoding?

Many thanks. Russell
asked Mar 5, 2016 by rapizel Bronze (1,420 points)
retagged Mar 5, 2016 by Walter Williams
If Unicode encoding is specified in the HTML, then browsers will use it.  That is usually not a problem.

Are you specifying a font?

Which browsers and operating systems are having the problem?

Can you share the link to your survey so that we can see it?

2 Answers

0 votes
It needs to be corrected at translator level. I have faced same issue in past with certain word format. I asked translator to use unicode while translating in document. It solves my issue and i just need to copy and paste text now.

Let us know, if this is not clear.
answered Jun 16, 2016 by Rajesh Rana Gold (23,530 points)
0 votes
Hi all. I now understand that the problem was a result of me "Removing System Meta Tags from the Header Section" (via Advanced survey settings) and adding my own Meta Tags. Not that my Meta Tags were incorrect, but that they occurred way down that page at the bottom of the header - too far down for Firefox, which looks for Meta Tags in the first few hundred characters of the Header (can't remember exactly how many characters).

Lesson = make sure Meta Tags declaring the  character encoding occurs at the top of the header.
answered Jun 16, 2016 by rapizel Bronze (1,420 points)