Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How to use a fixed term in a grid

Hello,

I want to ask for transformation rate question this one differs from village to village in India.
I thought the best way is using a table where I use on column with a given number and unit, a second column with the tranformation number and a third column with fixed word into which unit it is transformed.

See here:

8.    Transformation of units:   
1 acres =     ____    Bigha;
1 acres =    ____    Kattha
1 Bigha=    ____    Kattha

Does somebody knows how to do it? Is it easier to code it in a numeric question? And if so how can I do it that the after the numeric box is a text again?

Thanks for your help

Dirk
asked Mar 1, 2016 by Dirk

2 Answers

0 votes
Hi Dirk,

It sounds like the Free Format question type may be perfect for you: https://www.sawtoothsoftware.com/help/issues/ssiweb/online_help/hid_web_freeform.htm

I created a Free Format question called 'ff' and gave it numeric variables 'numeric1,' 'numeric2,' and 'numeric3.'  Then I gave it the following HTML:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
<tr>
  <td> 1 UnitA </td>
  <td> = </td>
  <td> <input name="ff_numeric1" id="ff_numeric1" class="numeric_input" type="text" size="5"> </td>
  <td> UnitB </td>
</tr>
<tr>
  <td> 1 UnitB </td>
  <td> = </td>
  <td> <input name="ff_numeric2" id="ff_numeric2" class="numeric_input" type="text" size="5"> </td>
  <td> UnitC </td>
</tr>
<tr>
  <td> 1 UnitC </td>
  <td> = </td>
  <td> <input name="ff_numeric3" id="ff_numeric3" class="numeric_input" type="text" size="5"> </td>
  <td> UnitD </td>
</tr>
</table>

This results in a question that looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/8GOjBAZ.png

The table can then be fine-tuned to look how you like by changing the HTML or adding CSS.
answered Mar 1, 2016 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (69,875 points)
0 votes
Hi Dirk,

You can simply program this as Grid type question where each row is of numeric type.

In rows, define 3 members (1 acre= , 1 acre = , 1 bigha=) and write fixed words like "Bigha" in respective Cell input label.

Regards,
Saurabh
answered Mar 1, 2016 by Saurabh Aggarwal Gold (27,930 points)