Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Alternative Specific Design: Insert text instead of blank spaces for N/A attributes

Hi,

my alternative specific design pretest has shown that respondents are confused by the blank spaces of non-applicable attributes. Is there any possibility to insert text (e.g. "non applicable") instead of leaving it blank?

Thanks!
asked Aug 21, 2015 by Ulf

2 Answers

0 votes
I am not sure I completely understand your design, but I suggest creating "fake" attributes that have only levels "n/a" to fill up empty space. You can exclude it from estimation at the analysis stage.
answered Aug 23, 2015 by anonymous
No, the issue is that I have a alternative specific design, where I prohibit certain level combinations, so fake attributes are not displayed either. The software just leaves a blind spot wherever a prohibition is in place and this confuses my respondents because they think, the page hasn't loaded properly or whatever...
0 votes
If you are running version 8, you should be able to set up a conditional display table that incorporates the zero level when an attribute is missing.  This will let you put something in there, such as N/A, for all combinations of the attribute levels.
answered Aug 24, 2015 by Brian McEwan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (37,610 points)
Thanks, that solved the issue!