Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Design Tab (ACBC)

Hi Support-Team,

it would be very kind if you could give some advice for my acbc-study that I aim to conduct in a few days. I included 9 (non-price) attributes (with a maximum of 3 levels per attribute) in my study and conducted my Pre-test last week. My resondents told me that my study was very complex and took too long. I now shortened down my study to only 6 Screening tasks with 3 Concepts per Task (in total 18 tasks) - so this is the minimum number of tasks you recommend to ask. Do you think this will be a problem for my study? When I check my design tab - each non-BYO level occurs at a minimum of 2 times.

Thank you very much for your help!

Kind regards,
Sina
asked Jul 7, 2015 by Sina

1 Answer

0 votes
Sounds like you are thinking about things right so far.  In our experience, ACBC works reasonably well when each level appears a minimum of 2x per respondent.  You could obtain more precision by having each level appear 3x per person.  But, the extra precision at the individual level could be made up by reducing the individual respondent burden (as you've done) but having a reasonably large sample size.

You've said nothing about sample size.  For studies about populations of 5000 potential customers or more, you generally want to have 300 to 500 respondents, I would think.  Another rule of thumb is to run the Test Design report in ACBC with the sample size you are expecting to achieve...then checking to see if the standard errors for each of the part-worth utilities is under 0.05.
answered Jul 7, 2015 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (142,515 points)
Question about sample size