Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How to exclude dominated profiles from CBC

Is there a way to exclude dominated profiles from CBC when generating the design? I only read about some authors doing it manually, but I have many attributes, so it would be an awfully long task to do manually.

In ACBC, there seems to be a way to do this automatically. In CBC too?

Note that I do not want to create profiles with only a subset of attributes (partial profiles) but rather eliminated clearly inferior concepts because their outcome is predictable and does not yield additional information.
asked Jul 6, 2015 by Ulf

1 Answer

0 votes
There isn't an automated way to do this.  Sorry.

But, if you have lots of attributes, then the good news is that there will be fewer profiles that will be able to clearly dominate other profiles across all attributes (within the same task).

If you open CBC's design file in Excel, you should be able to write some IF-Then statements in additional columns in your spreadsheet and identify any dominated profiles.  

And, for your information, just because a profile is dominated within a CBC task does not mean it provides absolutely no information.  Respondents answer with error and it is important to learn what the error rate is.  So, while I would prefer in most instances to avoid dominated concepts (as does ACBC), CBC has worked wonderfully well for decades even though it does nothing to avoid dominated concepts within the designs.
answered Jul 6, 2015 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (131,890 points)