Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Hidden variable for "consideration set" versus constructed lists

Hi, I have a series of questions that I am using to build a "consideration set" which is used through the rest of the questionnaire:

1. which brands are you aware of?
2. Which brands do you currently use?
3. Which of the brands you are aware of, but do not currently use, would you consider using?

The consideration set is those chosen in 2 and 3, minus "don't know".  

I have managed this through constructed lists.  However, I am wondering if there is an easier or better way by making a hidden variable for the consideration set in a free form question?  If so, any suggestions for syntax?  

It is also not clear to me how to obtain a variable for the consideration set in the survey data when it is complete.  Is this just the constructed list variable?  

Thank you!
asked Jun 5, 2015 by llblome (295 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
We can save data using 3 "common" methods in Sawtooth.

1/ Constructed lists.
2/ Free format hidden variables.
3/ Declaring variables in the Pass-In Fields and accessing them via the SetValue and GetValue SSI Script functions.

If I was to save a variable like a number or a string, I would typically use options 2/ or 3/. Option 3/ is the newer approach. If I was saving a bunch of brands, I would be using option 1/ (as you have used).

If I save the consideration set in a constructed list, I can use that constructed list in future questions to display all (or a subset) of that list. Furthermore, I can apply powerful SSI Script functions like ListValue, ListLabel, ListLength, ListHasParentMember, ListLabelsArray and so on in skips, question scripts, Perl, etc.

You can view the constructed list for any survey (regardless of being completed, incompleted or disqualified) in the admin module. You also have the ability to export the constructed list to SPSS, Excel, CSV, Tab, etc. file formats.

If you need further assistance or need to send me a Sawtooth file to look at, you can contact me at paulmoon@aapt.net.au.

Regards.
answered Jun 5, 2015 by Paul Moon Platinum (66,185 points)