Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Can I base a pre-skip on the answer to an open-ended item

Respondents are to insert the name of the company they currently receive a service from in Q3.

In Q8, they are to provide a series of evaluations about a specific company X, but only if company X ISN'T the provider they listed in Q3.

I realize that it would be a no-brainer to write the pre-skip if Q3 were a select instead of an open-ended, but the client initially proposed this to be an open rather than a select so i'm trying to program within those parameters.

Is this possible, or do I need to suggest to the client that we reconfigure the way we ask the question?
asked May 21, 2015 by Carrie

1 Answer

0 votes
Skips based on text or open-ended questions can be risky as respondents can type words/phrases incorrectly or in an abbreviated form.

You can use an SSI Script function called TextExists within a skip to perform the task you desire.

Here is an explanation of the text function ...

TextExists(QuestionName, "TextToLookFor")

Searches for "TextToLookFor" in the answer of QuestionName.  If found, a 1 is returned; if not found, a 0 is returned.
answered May 22, 2015 by Paul Moon Platinum (55,975 points)
Example ...

TextExists(Q3,"company X")

This search would be true if Q3="company X".