Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How can you determine "premium/non-premium" features from an anchored MaxDiff on the fly?

Hi there - we're looking to run an anchored MaxDiff with 17 features. We want to then ask respondents follow-up questions based on their Top 5 features from the upper and lower tiers of importance. In other words, based on how they answer the anchoring question, we want to be able to automatically determine not only the stack rank of the features, but whether they come from the truly important bucket of features or not so important bucket.  We want to know what is the cutoff between important and unimportant features and which features fall on either side of that line.  Any help or code snippets to do this would be appreciated. Thanks!
asked Apr 23, 2015 by pg13

1 Answer

+1 vote
Indeed, I prefer the approach of asking about a subset of the items for "Lattery" anchoring questions.  Plus, better to pick that subset as rank order 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 17 (e.g. out of 17 items) rather than asking about every item, if you could learn the rank order of items on the fly.

Fortunately, our MaxDiff software can compute those scores on the fly and you can build this subset of items as a constructed list using our constructed list logic.  Then, you show the constructed list of the subset of items in the follow-up grid rating/ranking question.

To do this, create a new constructed list that has as its parent the name of the list you used in your MaxDiff exercise.  

If my MaxDiff exercise was called "test", I could specify the following list building logic within a constructed list (that uses testList as its parent list):

ADD (testList, MaxDiffRankAttValue(test, 1))
ADD (testList, MaxDiffRankAttValue(test, 4))
ADD (testList, MaxDiffRankAttValue(test, 7))
ADD (testList, MaxDiffRankAttValue(test, 10))
ADD (testList, MaxDiffRankAttValue(test, 13))
ADD (testList, MaxDiffRankAttValue(test, 17))

...and this would add the 1st, 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, and 17th rank order of preference items from the MaxDiff exercise to the constructed list.
answered Apr 23, 2015 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (152,255 points)