Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Multiple Dependent Variables on the Dashboard. Only one simulates.

We're running an MBC exercise and have selected three variables to 'predict' (each is driven by price and whether or not alternative products are chosen instead.)  

But when we adjust the independent variables, say by dropping the price, at best only one Dependent variable is re-calculated.

Likewise, when we apply a filter in the simulator - the base size indicator adjust accordingly, yet the simulation results don't budge.

I'm wondering if there is something I've missed here. The simulators are very cool, but we're hoping for more functionality than we've managed to get so far.
asked Apr 14, 2015 by Duncan Stuart

1 Answer

+1 vote
I'm hoping I'm understanding you.  Here's what may be happening for your first question:

You say you have three separate dependent variables to predict.  That means that each of those got its own model to predict what happens to it if certain variables on the menu change.  So, if you change independent variable 1 (say, it's Price for item A on the menu), if independent variable 1 is only involved in the model for predicting item A's choice, then the share of choice for items B, C, etc. won't not be expected to change when price for item A changes.  But, if the models you have built for predicting item B, C, etc. also involve Price for item A as a predictor variable (as a cross-effect), then choice probability for B and C should change due to changes in Price A.  

Regarding what you're observing about the filter in the simulator, the only thing I can think of that may be causing the behavior you see is that you are running aggregate logit models rather than individual-level HB models.  To get the filters to work interactively within the same market simulator (at least the Excel-based ones our MBC software exports or the one built-into the MBC software), you need to be working from individual-level HB models.

If you are working from aggregate logit models and want to use filters (male vs. female, for example), the way to make that work is to do an aggregate utility run with Males only turned on (using the filters)--which creates a utility run which you should name to identify it later as males only; then to repeat the same for females, re-run aggregate logit and then rename that second run to identify it as females.  Then, to create a simulator for males only, you need to select the male-only utility run to be used.  To create a simulator for females only, you need to select the female-only utility run.
answered Apr 14, 2015 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (128,265 points)
Thanks Bryan. I'll give these good suggestions a try.