Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Data export in .sav format is super slow

Hi all. I am exporting the data using SSI Web 8.3.10 from normal .csv file to .sav format. The data has nearly 13000 variables. While exporting, it is taking a lot of time to "Calculating width for symbol <variable_name>". For 1 variable, it takes ~3 seconds. This has already wasted a lot of my time. I never faced this issue in older SSI Web versions. Am I doing something wrong here? Please suggest something.
asked Mar 23, 2015 by Niks Bronze (620 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
Niks,

If you send your survey and data files to mike@sawtoothsoftware.com I can run it through a much faster export that I have written experimentally and hope to put it in V9.  I just ran a study through it that would take 14 hours to accumulate and 17 hours to export in 8.3.10 and it took 2 minutes to accumulate and 8 minutes to export.
answered Mar 23, 2015 by Mike Lodder Gold (23,435 points)
Sure Mike... Shall I send you the .csv file?

Just one question, is it the newer version of SSI Web(8.3.10) which makes the process slow? Because I've never faced this issue with even more variables in SSI Web 8.2.4.
8.3 export was updated to help people with big studies because it used to just crash.  Unfortunately it did slow down large studies but at least it works.  You would need to send me more than the csv.  Just zip your study directory and the csv and I can take it from there.
Hi Mike! Have just sent you and email with the files.