Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Reorder attribute levels

Hi,

We have done a conjoint and have assigned the price values not in order, e.g.:
- Level 1: price of 3
- Level 2: price of 5
- Level 3: price of 7
- Level 4: price of 10
- Level 5: price of 0 (free basically)

Now I need to run interpolation. However I do not know how to re-order the levels to do so.
Does anyone know if I can re-order the levels in analysis (without messing up the answers) and how to do so?

Thanks
asked Jan 14, 2015 by Victor

1 Answer

0 votes
The way I typically re-order utilities for passing to the market simulator is to modify the .HBU file that HB estimation outputs.  That's a text file, and you'll find documentation on the layout of the .HBU in our manuals.  Here's a link to that documentation on our website: http://www.sawtoothsoftware.com/help/issues/ssiweb/online_help/index.html?hid_smrt_datamanagementtools.htm

With a text editor like Notepad or Wordpad, you'll need to modify the "header" portion of the file that lists the attributes, their levels and labels.

Then, you'll need to modify the rows that contain the respondent data to rearrange the part-worth utilities to be the same order as you now specified in the header of that file.  It's easiest to copy the respondent utility data (the stuff below the header section) into something like Excel so you can quickly re-arrange the columns, and then save the re-arranged part-worth utilities back to a space-delimited text format for pasting back into the modified .HBU file.

Then, start a NEW market simulation project (in SMRT or the online simulator) and import that modified .HBU file.
answered Jan 15, 2015 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (132,190 points)