Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

preventing respondents from selecting most benefits in MBC

I have a study with 64 benefits and 4,000 respondents.  I would like to test benefits via MBC, but how do I prevent people from selecting most/all benefits on each screen.  There is no cost associated with benefits-we are just testing availability effects.  Do you typically include text (please select only benefits that you would really use)?
Is selecting too many benefits a problem when there is no cost associated with them?
Can MBC handle 64 on/off benefits with 4,000 respondents?  Benefits can be nicely organized to logical categories.
asked Dec 4, 2014 by Ula

1 Answer

0 votes
Availability effects can be tricky in MBC.  Make sure you are quite comfortable with the models you are building based on dummy respondent data prior to going to field and using a specific experimental design.

There does seem to be at least some cost to respondents of presenting multiple benefits on the screen as binary check boxes.  They have to take the time to check all the benefits, which is a cost in time and effort spent taking the questionnaire.

Other possibilities include limiting the number of benefits respondents could pick on any one screen.  

Don't know what would work best in your situation, but those are some thoughts.
answered Dec 4, 2014 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (134,015 points)