Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Clear previous answer for resuming surveys

I need users to be able to stop and close the survey and return at a later time to complete the survey.  In order to do this, I have a unique ID on the Start page.  I also want a double entry for the ID, to check to make sure they entered the correct number.  I want the second ID entry to be on a different page than the first ID entry.  I have it on the second page now.  If the two ID’s don’t match, then I will stop the survey and ask the user to start the survey over.

Because the user did enter the second ID, the survey skips over the question and starts with the third page.  However, I want the user to enter the ID for the second time.  Is there a way to clear out the answer on the second page so when the user starts the survey again, they will get a chance to enter the ID for the second time?

Or, is there a better way to handle this request?

Thanks,
Greg
asked Feb 7, 2012 by Greg Bronze (910 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
just define two fields for start section. make first username and second password. set second to "masked".

now go to password data and set up user names such as
username : password : count
1000 : 1000 : 1
1001 : 1001 : 1
1002 : 1002 : 1
etc.

this way at the start and re-start of the interviews, the respondents need to enter their username twice (one looking like ****) and if they are correct they can continue.
answered Feb 7, 2012 by Bahadir Ozkurt Gold (16,930 points)
I didn’t think about masking the second input.  I’ like that idea.  I’ll have to check with the person requesting the survey design to see if they will accept that idea.

Do you know of any way to reset an answer so if the user re-starts the survey they will start with the question prior to where they left the survey?
to be honest no, I can't think of any way to accomplish that (actually I can but I don't think anyone's mad enough to build skips on every page and measuring time on each page and skipping back if time is bigger than something, meaning this is a returning respondent)

I honestly believe that you should give my suggestion a shot and you (and the client) will probably like it :)
I agree.  I like your idea.  Sometimes I just try to make things more difficult than they need to be.  I’ll just have to convince them this is the best way to do things.  Thanks again.