Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

CBC without a response - SSI Web 7 allows to proceed

Hello,

I'm working on a CBC study and facing a problem when running it in test mode: the survey allows me to proceed to next CBC screen even if I don't pick any option.

I haven't tested it in "live" mode on our server, but this is something that should not normally happen, I believe.

My Study Details:
- CBC, Alt-Spec with only those prohibitions that make it alt-spec, no others
- 7 attributes w 3-5 levels each
- 50 design versions created with Complete Enumeration
- Dual-response None

Also, I used some javascript to modify the outlook of the tasks (like replacing   by some text and graphics for conditional attributes).
What's interesting, after having noticed that strange behavior of the study, I tried the following:
- Removing all my javascript and html classes that I used
- Switching to Traditional None or no None at all
- Removing the prohibitions and generating a traditional CBC-design
- Scripting a new study w the same parameters

None of that helped. Even in the case of traditional CBC with my parameters and no custom javascript at all, I'm still allowed to proceed to the next screen when CBC response is missing.

Could you please help me to find the way out or sort out what's happened, or just let me know if you have seen anything similar in your practice?
I would highly appreciate any reply!

Thanks,
Igor

P.S. I'd like to avoid writing my own javascript verification :)
asked Aug 28, 2014 by Igor Gusev (190 points)
retagged Aug 28, 2014 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

0 votes
You shouldn't be able to submit a CBC task without an answer.  You might try opening the sample CBC study from the help menu and try that to see if it works correctly.  Additionally, make sure you are testing the survey rather than just previewing it (though it sounds like you are), and if you have any custom code in the headers or footers of the survey as a whole, try removing that as well.

If a "normal" survey and the sample CBC don't work correctly, you probably need to contact support@sawtoothsoftware.com so we can figure out some way to see what's going on.
answered Aug 28, 2014 by Brian McEwan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (36,985 points)
Thanks Brian, the sample studies and my other studies still work as they should. So I started from scratch once again, but this time I did not insert javascript in global header to make it affect the cbc tasks themselves. I used free-format questions coupled with CBC instead, and it worked out.

Regarding the reason of that strange behavior, I suppose my old javascript conflicted with built-in system javascript functions, and that might have broken the system js verification permanently for that .ssi project.
Yeah, a conflict somehow is probably the best guess.