Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Freeformat questions and Chrome in 8.2.4

I am experiencing weird behaviour in some of my freeformat questions when I test in my primary browser (Chrome).  I have two questions set up on one page.  Both have a textbox variable and a checkbox, with javascript validation making sure the respondent can't provide any more than one answer for each question.  In Firefox and IE, the page acts as you would expect, but in Chrome, I can't get any focus on the first type-in box unless I tab.  If I split them onto two pages, no focus on either type-in box without hitting tab to get a cursor.  If I put them both on one page and put another question - ANYTHING (even a text question) - as the first thing on the page, all is good.  But as soon as I put a pre-skip on that question (thinking to trick it), the undesirable behaviour comes back.

I have tried rebuilding the job, deleting everything on the server and reloading, nothing works.  This is the first time I've ever experienced this.  Has anyone else?
asked Jul 1, 2014 by Marion Bronze (3,435 points)
Seems fishy if the behavior is different depending on what else is on the page.  It sounds like there might be a syntax issue somewhere, either in the HTML or the JavaScript.  I'd probably make sure SSI Web is writing the HTML for the box via the hammer and wrench icon in the text editor.  Maybe take out the custom JavaScript first, or anything else to break the different pieces down and see if perhaps you can localize where the problem is.

1 Answer

0 votes
If putting a text question at the top of the page works, couldn't you just do that with no text.  With some css you could reduce most of the margins so that it wouldn't be very noticeable.  You've probably already done this, but thought I'd mention the obvious. :-)
answered Jul 1, 2014 by Jay Rutherford Gold (26,185 points)