Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Multiple skip logic for ranking questions

Hi everyone,

I got the following problem:

I've created a ranking question, possible answers: A,B,C,D,E
I want people to rank 1-2 (1 = most important) which leaves 3 possible answers out.
(answers do not randomize but are fixed)

In the upcoming survey (after the ranking question) I have the following questions:

Question SAND
Question WATER
Question AIR
Question FIRE

What I'd like to do is:

People who rank A=1 and B=2 should answer Question SAND and Question Water (Basically A leads to Sand, B leads to Water, C leads to Air, D leads to Fire and E doesn't lead to anything) Which means: if I rank A and C, I would have to answer the question about SAND and about AIR, but not the question about WATER and FIRE.

I've already figured out how to do the first step - Let's go with the example: I rank A on 1 and B on 2, which means I'd have to answer the question about sand and the question about water.

I've put in the skip logic "Skip from: Ranking", "Skip to: SAND", "Skip if the following logic evaluates to true: Ranking_1=1" which lets me skip to the SAND questions in case i rank A with 1.

If I do exactly the same for B and Water, it only runs the first skip logic in the order (not the one for B if A is first) and continues with the "normal" survey by ignoring the second ranking skip logic.

How can I arrange that both skip logics (for A and B) are achieved one after another?

Thank you very much in advance for your help. I hope my examples made it a at least a bit less confusing.

Sandra
asked Jun 11, 2014 by Sandra

1 Answer

0 votes
If I'm understanding what you are looking to do, it sounds like you just need to change how you hand the skips.  Instead of writing your skips as a "Post-Skip" on the Ranking question, I would remove that and go the the next question and write a "Pre-Skip" and if it doesn't meet the criteria skip to the Next question.  

So, add a Pre-Skip at SAND as "Ranking_1<>1" Skipto Next Question.  This way it never skips over a question but goes to each one and checks first to see if it meets the criteria you want and then moves to the next question in the line and you add a similar Pre-skip there as well.
answered Jun 11, 2014 by Jay Rutherford Gold (23,220 points)
edited Jun 11, 2014 by Jay Rutherford
Agree with Jay. Use pre-skips on each of the sand, water, air and fire questions.

The condition at SAND would be if "Ranking_1<>1 and Ranking_1<>2" go to WATER.
The condition at WATER would be if "Ranking_2<>1 and Ranking_2<>2" go to AIR.
The condition at AIR would be if "Ranking_3<>1 and Ranking_3<>2" go to FIRE.
The condition at FIRE would be if "Ranking_4<>1 and Ranking_4<>2" go to [next question after FIRE].
Thanks guys!

That wasn't exactly what I was looking for but I think you gave me the hint I needed. I'll test it now!