Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

What does the option "Show levels of attributes no More than once per task" means ?

I only want to analyse the main effects. Therefore I have decided to choose the complete Enumeration Design. In the CBC Exercice Settings (Advanced Settings) there is an option that I can choose when I pick Complete Enumeration for my design.  It is called "Show levels of attributes no More than once per task". I actually don`t understand what happens when I select this option. In which cases should I use this option?

Thank you very much for helping.
asked May 20, 2014 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
You can do complete enumeration...but you risk getting worse main effects in certain cases (compared to Balanced Overlap).  That's because if there is a key attribute level that is a must-have, then the respondent only can pick that one concept on the screen (without trading off any other attributes).  It means that you'll never learn anything more about that respondent other than the top level thing of importance if that level comes from an attribute where each of the levels is represented exactly once in the choice task.

If you choose "show levels of FIRST ATTRIBUTE no more than once per task" it tries very hard to have no level overlap (no level repeating) for the first attribute.  This is important to some researchers if they want each brand to show exactly once within each choice task (imagine 6 brands in the study, 6 concepts per task, and the researcher wants each brand to show exactly one time per task).
answered May 20, 2014 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (138,915 points)