I have an ssiweb (v8.2.4) generated landing page which directs to 1 of 2 external URLs (URLa, URLb). The directing is based on a post-skip random number - so I can manage the % of respondents going to the 2 sites.
In short the issue I have is ensuring that returning users are always directed to the same URL – ie if user is randomly directed to URLa, they are always directed to URLa if they return.
This is what I would like to achieve:
New user (simple I think)
1. New user enters their ID
2. ID validated (they are all generated in advance)
3. If ID is invalid – error msg saying check your ID.
4. If ID is valid and unused – proceed as currently, ie randomly to 1 of 2 URLs.
Now the tricky bit:
5. If ID is valid and previously used (they are a returning user)
6. Post skip sends user to the URL previously directed to
I guess (emphasis on ‘guess’) what I am after is a way of:
• Checking if user ID is a first time visitor
• If Yes, send at random but store the URL the user is directed to
• If No, send to the previously visited URL.
(I know it would be easier to have the IDs pre-determining whether the user goes to URLa or URLb, but that's not an option in this rather peculiar study)
Any insights welcomed