Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Normalized utilities

Hi,

I am wondering if there are any alternatives to the "zero-centered diffs" for CBCHB outputs that allows me to compare part-worth utilities within attributes. I am interested in utilities that do not include negative values but allows for comparison across groups or across respondents. Is there a way to generate non-negative utilities? I want to generate non-negative utilities for presentation purposes.

Thank you in advance!
asked Mar 17, 2014 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
If you load your HBU file into the SMRT simulator software, you can export it out using the points or diffs methods, which are zero-based utilities.
answered Mar 17, 2014 by Brian McEwan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (37,810 points)
Thank you Bryan, however, the zero diffs utilities give me a range of negative and positive utilities. I am interested in normalized utilities that are only on the positive scale, i.e. no negative values. Thanks!
Correct, there are three rescaling methods you can choose from when exporting from SMRT.  Zero-centered diffs are zero-centered, but the points and diffs methods are zero-based.
Thank you Brian, this was exactly what I was after!