Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Progress bar - estimated %

I'm trying to understand the mechanics behind the estimated % for the progress bar where your survey contains loops. I was testing the progress bar against a loop question and the default progress bar method is misleading as the progress bar just sits in the one  position and treats the whole loop question like it is a one page question.

So going to the alternative method, I'm a bit confused with what % I should use. I understand it is an estimate and not an exact science.

Referring to the Sawtooth help ...

Question seen method:  This method shows progress based on (#questions seen)/(total number of questions based on Estimated % of questions each will see).  This method potentially works better for questionnaires involving loops and randomized blocks.

I'm also wondering how a loop question with say 5 pages  would be treated in this calculation? Would it be 1 (referring to the question) or 5 (referring to the number of pages displayed)?

Appreciate any assistance. Thanks.
asked Mar 12, 2014 by Paul Moon Platinum (62,005 points)

Your answer

Please only use this to answer the original question. Otherwise please use comments.
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:

To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.