Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Is it safe to use Perl in ACBC?

Hi! I have a similar situation: some of the attributes from my ACBC exercise are priced per-user. For example, I have the following 2 attributes: number of fixed telephony connections and number of minutes. So, 100 minutes for 1 connection cost 5 Euro, while 100 minutes for 2 connections cost 10 Euro.

I am thinking to use Perl in order to vary the price for the number of minutes according to the number of connections the respondent needs. (This way, only the number of minutes will be an attribute included in the ACBC exercise, while the number of connections will be asked prior to conjoint).

Has anyone used Perl in this way? Is it a safe method or is there any other solution?

Many thanks in advance.
asked Feb 18, 2014 by anonymous
edited Feb 18, 2014 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

0 votes
It may be easier than you think to do this without custom Perl code.  Under the Pricing tab in ACBC, there is a Price Adjustments button.  It lets you tell ACBC that a combination of two or more attributes leads to a different incremental price attached to that combination of two or more attributes.

Those level prices attached to attributes are shown in the BYO question.  Then, later in the survey (Screening Phase and Choice Tournament Phase), they are part of the formula for showing the total price at the bottom of the concept (but with the addition of some random variation to price, so one can estimate price sensitivity independent of the non-price attributes).
answered Feb 18, 2014 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (140,065 points)
Thank you for the answer. I’ve tried to apply your solution, but I have a problem.

The number of connections is a single level attribute (it is given by the company activity/ size and the client doesn’t want to vary this attribute). This is the reason why I want to exclude it from the ACBC exercise.

Moreover, it would look a bit weird to see a single level attribute in the BYO section and if I don’t include it in the BYO section, the software doesn’t allow me to do price adjustments based on the number of connections.

What should I do?