Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Alternative-Specific Design and Attribute Importances

I have study with Alternative-Specific Design. My client is interested in importance of attributes. How should I calculate this correctly? E.g. in a typical example with car, bus, bike, walk.
Attribute 1:
Walk
Bike
Ride the bus
Drive my car
Attribute 2:
Picks up every 20 min.
Picks up every 15 min.
Picks up every 10 min.
Picks up every 5 min.
Attribute 3:
25 cents per one-way trip
50 cents per one-way trip
75 cents per one-way trip
$1.00 per one-way trip
Attribute 4:
Parking fee $5.00/day
Parking fee $8.00/day
Parking fee $10.00/day

Is it a proper way to present importance?
    Importance
Attribute 1    60%
Attribute 2    10%
Attribute 3    20%
Attribute 4    10%
asked Jan 4, 2012 by anonymous
edited Sep 13, 2012 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

+1 vote
First, "Importance" is probably not the best way to present the results about the impact of an attribute.  And, especially with alternative-specific attributes, it is a bit strange to be comparing the impact of an attribute that only is applicable to cars to another that is only applicable to buses.

Now, I suppose you could focus only on the attributes applicable to buses, and re-percentage their importances to sum to 100%.  Then, for buses, you have the relative importances of attributes.  Then, do the same for cars, etc.

Still, I am not a big fan of using Importance scores to show results of conjoint analysis.  I think it is better to show "base case" results and then modifications to base case.
answered Jan 4, 2012 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (148,140 points)