Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How to do simulations with ACBC results in SMRT?

Hi

Is there a way to do simulations in SMRT?

This is because I use extensively the SMRT with CBC studies and it would mean a lot of extra work to build up a simulation tool in excel.

Until now I did not find out how to do in SMRT and I did not try the web-based tool though since our company does not have licenses.

Thank you!
Samuel
asked Jan 14, 2014 by rossam (160 points)
retagged Jan 14, 2014 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

0 votes
ACBC analysis should provide you with an HBU file, similar to the output of CBC/HB.  Create a new study in SMRT (designating it as a CBC study will work, or a simulation-only study).  Then, go to Analysis -> Run Manager and import your HBU file.  SMRT doesn't handle ACBC cho files very well due to a lot of extra information they contain, summed pricing, etc.

The one difference is when the HBU file is brought in, you'll need to change the generic Attribute 1, Attribute 2, etc. labelsl to the proper attribute labels.
answered Jan 14, 2014 by Brian McEwan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (38,015 points)
Thank you, Brian! This sounds like it will work perfectly for me.

Samuel
Hi Brian,

Thanks again, this works like a charm!
(It makes me wonder why ACBC is not even mentioned in the SMRT Help?).

Samuel
SMRT is a much older piece of software that was our previous platform for creating and administering surveys locally on a computer.  It's documentation is very extensive on the other conjoint methods like CBC and ACA, because it used to be how these exercises were done.  It makes no mention of MaxDiff and ACBC because it doesn't have any authoring capabilities for these methodologies.  There is some generic information on bringing utility data in (and SSI Web should also contain more detailed help files) but once you've estimated utilities, you can't tell the difference between a CBC study and a ACBC study.  Both dump out .hbu files with individual-level utilities that can be imported into SMRT.

Having two separate pieces of software is definitely a pain point, and we're working on version 9 of SSI Web that will bring all simulation capabilities together and let us put SMRT to rest.