Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Can you code MBC quantity responses as categorical variables.

I'm creating an MBC survey, and I would like to offer the option of choosing more than one of a particular option (e.g. 0-4 hamburgers). Is it possible/appropriate to code this as a categorical variable, with each quantity represented by a level, or would that confound the aggregate logit or HB analyses?

If this isn't possible, are there any accepted ways of offering multiple of a particular option?
asked Dec 23, 2013 by anonymous

1 Answer

+1 vote
While it is quite possible in the MBC software to simply treat the dependent variable you describe as a 4-category dependent variable (as with polytomous logit described in the MBC documentation), it really isn’t proper statistically, because it treats the four categories as independent, nominal, categories rather than ordered categories.  That said, I have heard people report that for an ordered categorical dependent variable with only a few categories, the MBC software running multinomial logit (either the aggregate form or the HB form) can work decently well under forgiving situations.  So, if you proceed, recognize it isn’t quite proper, but it might work decently well under good data conditions.
answered Dec 24, 2013 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (134,015 points)