Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Ranking Question

Ok, i got this simple question:

My online survey contained a ranking question with 6 options to rank. In the results data file i now have 6 columns named Ranking_1 to Ranking_6. My question is now, are they referring to the ranking option or the rank? What i mean is, contains column Ranking_1 the ranks for the first ranking option, or contains the column the number for the ranking option prefered most?

Or by using an example: If the column Ranking_1 contains two entries, one says "3", and one says "2".
Does that mean
A) the first ranking option was ranked third and second
or B) ranking options 3 and 2 were ranked as most important for those to respondents

Well, i would say its A), but im not sure. Thanks for your help
asked Nov 19, 2013 by Andy

1 Answer

+2 votes

Best answer
Each column represents your 6 options, in the order of your list.  The number in that column represents the ranking that option received from the respondent.  So, in your example Ranking_1 (which is your first option in your list for that question) received a rank of 3 from one respondent and a rank of 2 from another.
answered Nov 19, 2013 by Jay Rutherford Gold (26,800 points)
selected Dec 15, 2013 by Rajesh Rana
great, thanks for your fast answer. so its like i thought it would be, but i didnt want to risk to evaluate the results wrongly.