Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Skip based on whether an item was checked

Hi everyone,

I have a multi-response list of seven items.  I am trying to build a skip that is contingent upon whether 1 of 2 items are checked.  The respondent could select both since it is a multi-select question.  

Anyway, what I'm wanting to do is build a skip to another question if one of those two items aren't selected.

Thank you for you help!
asked Oct 21, 2013 by sawtoothrookie (140 points)

1 Answer

+2 votes
Hi ,

Let's say  your question name is Q1 and those 2 options are first 2 options.  I would use pre skip on next questions as

Q1_1=0 or Q1_2=0

Goto Next questions.

Using this, we are checking, if any of them have not been checked move to next questions. In case you want, if both haven't selected then move to next questions, you should use below one.

Q1_1=0 and Q1_2=0
Goto Next questions.

Let me know for more help.
answered Oct 21, 2013 by Rajesh Rana Gold (23,430 points)
Hi Ranarajesh,

I had used your first response before I asked this question, and that didn't work.  I'm going to keep playing with it to see if there is another reason for why it isn't working.
If possible. send me your programming file in rana.rajesh83@gmail.com.  I can check and revert back to you.
You may have some error on previous questions. Sometime, this is also the reason behind non execution of skips.
For whatever reason, it is treating the "or" as "and".  The skip is only working if both are selected.
Seems , either you asked in wrong way or i am taking in wrong way.

Can you check with below skip

Q1_1=0 and Q1_2=0 got to next questions. Seems it will solve your problem. I am guessing,  you want to show that question, if any of them have been chosen. So you need to use this condition as pre skip over that question.
That worked, thanks so much!