Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Quota on a question in a block?

Hi everyone,

Here is my problem: I have a sample of 150 respondents. At some point  in the survey, I want to randomly split the sample across 5 questions. However, I need each group to be exactly the same size, i.e. 30 respondents per group.

I got the rotating part OK, using a block and a constructed list for each of the 5 questions, as explained somewhere else on the forum. But when I test the survey by generating data, I get different group sizes, e.g. one with 35 and the next one with 25.

How can I put a quota on a question in a block? My problem is that if a respondent takes the survey, reaches those questions and is sent to one with the quota full, I don't want him/her to get terminated but rather to be sent to one of those 5 questions without quota full.

If it can help, the questions are part of a monadic price test. Maybe there is just a better way to do a monadic price test altogether?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Fred
closed with the note: It has been answered.
asked Sep 23, 2013 by frederic.puech (205 points)
closed Sep 24, 2013 by frederic.puech
Can you link to the solution you are using for your rotation? It may be a bit easier to guide you if we know what method you're using.
Hi Ola,

Thank you for your reply. It was actually from SSI Help, not from the forum (scroll down until the last section: "Showing a Random Subset of Questions/Blocks"):

https://www.sawtoothsoftware.com/help/issues/ssiweb/online_help/index.html?hid_web_randomq.htm

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
What you probably want to do is do a quota first, and then make the constructed list based off of the quota.   For example, make a quota with 5 cells with the limit set to 30 and set the logic of each to always qualify.  Then in the Advanced area of the quota, switch it to check for cell membership: randomize all.  What this will do is roll the dice and assign someone to a quota cell as long as there is a spot in that cell.

Then in the constructed list that controls the blocks, you can said ADD(ParentListName,QuotaName).  QuotaName will evaluate to their cell, 1-5, and add the right parent list item.  The list then sends someone to the right block of questions that they are assigned to.
answered Sep 23, 2013 by Brian McEwan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (38,315 points)
selected Sep 24, 2013 by frederic.puech
It seems to be working, thanks a lot Brian!
Fred