Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

In an MBC exercise where 3 designed concepts are presented, can the Excel simulator provide scenarios with 4+ products?

I just wanted to follow up on a previous question. I've initially responded as a comment, and I'm not sure if it got noticed:

I'm thinking of an MBC exercise similar to the one you show in figure 1.9 of the MBC booklet (page 9 here https://www.sawtoothsoftware.com/download/mbcbooklet.pdf ). In that exercise we're showing 3 different products with varying characteristics.

Does this mean that the Excel simulator resulting from this particular example can only show market simulations with 3 products?

It sounds like I'd need to create a different Excel simulation file for all the different possible number of products the client may want in the simulation scenario, or add some kind of check box to enable/disable the presence of a product.
asked Aug 21, 2013 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
Indeed, the Excel simulator for this study would only be built to predict the same number of products as shown to respondents during the questionnaire.  But, with some additional (and somewhat complicated) rework, you could extend the same utilities and relationships between respondent characteristics and product choice to involve more products than were shown on the screen to respondents.  But, this makes the big assumption about IIA (additional products beyond those shown in the context of the survey take share from existing products in a proportional manner).

And, if it is a multi-check situation like with figure 1.9 (where one, two, or three of the products could be selected), you'd have to make assumptions about how the number of products being selected depended on the number of products offered in the scenario.  That's a big gotcha.

Better approach (if possible) is to model the market as it exists (with as many products as would be available).  Then, if you have a situation where a new product needs to be modeled coming into the marketplace, you'd use an availability design (so in half the scenarios the new product was available and in half it was not).
answered Aug 21, 2013 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (147,915 points)
This makes sense - thanks for the clarification!