Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

anchored max diff possible to split items in responent groups?

With the anchored maxDiff, is it possible to run a max diff with let’s say 80 items and splitting the sample into two (item 1-40 first groups of respondents, items 41-80 second group) and then get the importance ranking for item 1 to 80?

I would expect with this approach segmenting the respondents would not work as we don’t get individual level scores for all 80 statements ?

Is there another way to split items and merge them afterwards to geht the whole picture?
asked Jul 15, 2013 by anonymous
retagged Jul 15, 2013 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

0 votes
It seems you are thinking about using the "Anchor" item as a bridge to link two separate sets of items from two separate MaxDiff studies.  Market segmentation wouldn't work, as you've indicated.  

I used a similar methodology to test the validity of the anchor item (dividing the items into two separate sets and trying to bridge them together using the anchor item...see a white paper at: https://www.sawtoothsoftware.com/download/techpap/dualresponsemaxdiff.pdf)

I did this split-study design to test the validity of the anchor item, but I wouldn't recommend it as a way to bridge multiple groups of items together (divide and conquer) across respondents.  Better idea would be to use "Sparse MaxDiff" or "Express MaxDiff" as described by Wirth/Wolfrath in their 2012 Sawtooth Software paper that may be downloaded from: www.sawtoothsoftware.com/download/techpap/2012Proceedings.pdf
answered Jul 17, 2013 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (132,290 points)