Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How do I include a subset of the attribute levels in a CBC partial profile design?

Hello!

I actaully have two questions:
1. How do I specify the parameters in CBC partial profile, if the rotated attributes are not next to each other?  It's almost like I have to specify multiple sets of the two control parameters: (1) Rotate Attributes into Concepts Starting with and (2) Ending with Attribute. I don't want to sort them to be next each other because I need to maintain the common coding in the choice data.

2. Can I do a "partial profile" on the attribute levels?  In other words, I want to be able to control, when an attribute is rotated into a concept, which of its attribute levels are to be shown. I am not sure if a prohibition constraint would do it and how.

Thanks very much for your help!
asked Jun 4, 2013 by anonymous
retagged Jun 4, 2013 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

0 votes
Sorry, but I have to say I'm confused about your questions.

First, our CBC software always keeps track of which attributes were shown in each task, so there is always common coding (managed by the software) within our system.  My guess is that's probably not what you meant.

Next, if you want some attributes (such as brand and price) to always be shown, but other attributes to rotate in, then you need to leave Brand and Price to be either at the top of the concept, at the bottom of the concept, or top (Brand) and bottom (Price).  Then, the middle attributes are rotating in and out of the task.

Regarding dropping levels of attributes per person, that's something that the ACBC software can do (with its ability to use constructed lists of attributes and attribute levels), but CBC is not able to do automatically.  

Now, it is possible to trick CBC into showing a customized (say) 5 out of 10 possible brands, using a constucted list and showing each of 5 list elements as the attribute level text...but you'd have a nasty data processing project on the back end to unravel what happened and deal appropriately with the missing levels for utility estimation.
answered Jun 4, 2013 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (148,340 points)
Thanks, Bryan for your quick response! Sorry for the confusion. Maybe I'll try to rephrase.

As you noted, I understand "if you want some attributes (such as brand and price) to always be shown, but other attributes to rotate in, then you need to leave Brand and Price to be either at the top of the concept, at the bottom of the concept, or top (Brand) and bottom (Price).  Then, the middle attributes are rotating in and out of the task."

Let's say, besides the brand and price attributes from your example, there is another attribute that I want it to be always shown; but this attribute is in the middle of "the middle attributes". And for some reason, I have to maintain the attribute order so I can't simply move this attribute to the top or to the bottom. In this case, how would I specify the parameters for partial profile - that was my original question.  I can think of one way to do it - I can move this attribute to the top or the bottom in order to run the partial-profile CBC; then I need to post-process the choice data file by shifting its corresponding column to the original position.

Regarding my second question of dropping levels of attributes, I just need to drop them for all respondents; it doesn't need to be varying per respondent. Would CBC be able to constrain it in the design without requiring any back-end data processing?

Thanks again!