This can indeed be a tricky area, and if you don’t follow the documentation on “Free Format CBC Questions” precisely, it won’t work:
(I’m assuming you’re using SSI Web v8, as this is the documentation for v8).
The Free Format task name needs to end with “Random1” for the first CBC task, and then “Random2” for the second Free Format task. For example, in an example I just tested for myself, I used “FFTaskRandom1” as my free format question name for the first CBC task (on the same page as the first CBC task).
Then, there are the SSI Script functions for showing level text from the CBC study within the Free Format tasks. I named my CBC study “mycbc”, so to show the first level of the first concept for the first task, I specified:
[%CBCDesignLevelText (mycbc_Random1, 1, 1) %]
Then, you’ve got to deal properly with collecting the responses to the tasks, and I used:
[%RadioSelect(FFTaskRandom1_response, CBCDesignConceptValue(mycbc_Random1, 1))%]
etc. one RadioSelect button per response within the CBC task, following this same pattern.
So, at this point what I can suggest to you is to follow the documentation precisely (see my first link above). When I’ve had your same problem, I had to review the documentation and compare it to what I had done until I found the mismatch.
And, of course, if you cannot get it to work that you send in your .ssi file to our help desk. Our folks will look over your Free Format task, your CBC studyname and random task names, and find the mismatch that is causing the problem.