Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How to generate designs for Best-Worse Case 2

Hi...

how can I generate a design for Best-Worse Case 2 using SSI Web v7 ?!
I have 6 attributes with 3 levels each. I tried maxdiff with prohibitions but I am not sure about it. What is the best way doing this?!

Thanks.

Andrew
asked Apr 23, 2013 by Andrew Bronze (780 points)
edited Apr 23, 2013 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

0 votes
Best-Worst Case 2 is Jordan's twist on Paul Green traditional card-sort conjoint designs (where we show one concept at a time to respondents).  But, with BW2, respondents don't give an overall evaluation of the suitability of that concept.  Rather, we ask them which level within that concept makes them most want to purchase the product and which level within that concept makes them least want to purchase.

I can think of three good ways to generate traditional card-sort conjoint designs that would be suitable for this using Sawtooth Software:

1.  Use our MaxDiff software, but specify the prohibitions between levels within the same attribute, so that levels within the same attribute don't show up within the same concept.  This is the same as the tutorial study that ships with MaxDiff software (the Navy reenlistment study).  We also describe this approach and test out the prohibitions within an appendix of the MaxDiff manual.

2.  Use our CVA software, which has a very nice algorithm for searching for d-optimal designs.

3.  Use our CBC software, where you specify just one product concept per task vs. the None alternative.

All three methods will produce high quality designs.  CVA is limited to generating up to 10 different blocks (versions) at a time, but the d-efficiency will be slightly higher for its designs.  MaxDiff and CBC will both allow you to generate hundreds of different blocks within the same design generation run.
answered Apr 23, 2013 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (140,065 points)
Many thanks, Bryan.
Can't belive how fast you answered. I gonna try all suggested ways and pick the most suitable one. Concerning point 3 I thought of using CBC as well but didn't assume it could be that easy.

Thanks again for the great support.