Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Has anyone ever made custom import/export functionalities within a questionaire?

Hi,

I have a very quick question; I hope you have time to answer it.

Is it easy to implement import / export functionalities within a questionnaire made with SSI Web? Has anyone here done this before?

Import as in the ability for the respondent to import .pdf and .xls (like an attachment).
Export as in the ability to export the filled in questionnaire to an .xls (or similar).

Would this be difficult to implement? I'm aware that it will require some custom programming.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mark
asked Mar 29, 2013 by MBoersma (120 points)

4 Answers

0 votes
I'm not aware of any import features by the respondent?

I have had situations where a respondent needed their responses as in a filled in questionnaire report. The best I could come up with was to search for the respondent through the admin module and perform a copy and paste into another package such as Excel. It required some tidying up however of variable names. If a lot of it was happening, we would create a template with the questionnaire questions/answers included.

I like the idea of having the ability to export to a PDF file of a completed questionnaire which includes the respondents answers.
answered Mar 29, 2013 by Paul Moon Platinum (60,230 points)
0 votes
Hello,

I know that it is not very ideal, but if it is for one project you could set up a mail-merge in word to have a somewhat similar output.

Basically you need to setup a template in word and indicate the "dynamic" parts that need to change based on respondents answers and once its complete you should be able to produce pdf's from the final documents.
answered Mar 29, 2013 by Bahadir Ozkurt Gold (16,830 points)
0 votes
There are a few Perl modules that along with the SSI unverified Perl functions make reading and writing excel files relatively painless. Have used Spreadsheet::WriteExcel from within SSI in the past. Would need to set up a file upload before the import but definitely doable.

"easy to implement" is subjective of course, but it can be done in relatively few lines of code.
answered Apr 4, 2013 by anonymous
0 votes
Importing  - are you trying to have something uploaded during the interview and getting stored somewhere? If so you can use any uploader code freely available @ net.

For export you can get the data export from web admin or having some code and through the sql database (ssi-web-8)
answered Apr 16, 2013 by Mithat Bronze (4,010 points)