Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Missing responses on some of the tasks

Imagine I have DCM data and one of the respondents did not reply to Task 1 (for whatever reason - I just don't have his response). If I use single .csv file format as input into Sawtooth (where the design is merged with responses), I can just omit Task 1 rows for that respondent.
However, could I use dual csv input (one file for design and one for responses) in this situation? And if yes - what should I put into this respondent's response(s) to Task 1. Empty cells?

Thank you!
asked Jan 11, 2013 by Dimitri Bronze (645 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Response of zero always informs CBC/HB, or Latent Class to omit a task from analysis.  So, that makes it easier for data processing activities.  You can make each respondent have an equal number of tasks, but insert responses of zeros when the task is missing.
answered Jan 11, 2013 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (148,340 points)
Thank you, Bryan. Now, it's great in case of a choice exercise. Each task should have a non-zero response (i.e., # of the concept that was chosen) and hence zero provides info that the task is missing.
Now, allow me to complicate my question: what if we are dealing not with a choice task but with an allocation task? In this case, each task has several columns in the response file. But some of the columns could have actual allocation of zero. In this case - should I just enter zeros for all concepts and Sawtooth will just omit this task as well?
Thank you!