Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How do I hide some attributes from Must-haves and unacceptables in ACBC

I have a design with attributes including:
-brand
-product model
-a number of product characteristics
-price

How do I exclude price and product model from must-haves and unacceptables questions?
asked Dec 11, 2012 by Pavel Sokolov (120 points)
A question like this always begs an additional question:  If the respondent will use the must-have or unacceptable question to tell you something about price and models, why would you want to deny them the opportunity?
Hi, Brian!

For current models in the market there are fixed features that cannot be changed cause everybody knows that nokia XXX has 1", 100x128 monochrome display and samsung galaxy s3 has 4.3”, 480x800 color.

So model attribute is some of alternative specific design for current models in the market.
Thus I wan't to exclude specific model attribute from must-haves to concentrate respondents on brand and features as it is done in the market.
You choose a set of features you need  on 1 step and than choose from specific models you can consider. Even if you want to buy a specific model online shops or retailers would advise you to look at context models you can consider.
Just to provide some additional counter thoughts:

1) I have no clue what resolution my smart phone is, nor would I have known anything about the S3 (maybe that is abnormal)

2) If you want to treat phones as fixed, perhaps you need to structure your design such that Attribute X is "device" and level 1 is "nokia XXX, 1" screen, 100x128 display?

I like doing stuff like that instead of "hacking" to hide things from people.

2 Answers

0 votes
Price (if it is a "summed pricing" attribute) may be excluded (that's the default in the software) from must-haves and unacceptables.  There isn't a way that I know of to exclude non-"summed price" attributes.
answered Dec 11, 2012 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (142,515 points)
Any hint on java-script or perl?

Thanks in advance,
Pavel Sokolov
Bojole-research
0 votes
You can hide some attributes, but that would mean that you hide them from respondents eyes and you have to set their values yourself. the values you have entered in this way will be used in calculation!

here's some code to show howto hide a complete attribute
            document.getElementById("acbcKK_BYO_2").style.visibility = "hidden";
            document.getElementById("acbcKK_BYO_2").style.display = "none";

and here's some code to hide an attribute in realtime (setting its value) based on another attribute
<script type="text/javascript">

function SSI_CustomGraphicalRadiobox(GraphicalRadioboxObj, InputObj) 
{ 
//    alert(InputObj.value);
    if(InputObj.name == "acbcKK_BYO_1")
    {
        if (InputObj.value == 1) // first item clicked in first attribute
        {
            document.getElementById("acbcKK_BYO_2").style.visibility = "hidden";
            document.getElementById("acbcKK_BYO_2").style.display = "none";
SSI_SetSelect("acbcKK_BYO_2_1",true); // select first option of attribute 2
        }
        else // something else than first item selected in first attribute, unhide second attribute
        {
            document.getElementById("acbcKK_BYO_2").style.visibility = "visible";
            document.getElementById("acbcKK_BYO_2").style.display = "";
        }
    }
}  
</script>

answered Dec 11, 2012 by Bahadir Ozkurt Gold (16,830 points)
Hi All,

I have a similar question, I have an invisible attribute which drives conditional display - how do I implement this code - or use another method, to hide this from the unacceptables and the must haves?