Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

adding a new item on a constructed list

I am pulling together a constructed list from other sources, no problem.  I want to also add a new option to the end of the list, though.  What's the code for that?
asked Nov 21, 2012 by anonymous

2 Answers

0 votes
All items on a constructed list have to come from the same original parent list.  You can always add an item onto the parent list and then use a constructed list  instead of the parent list for the first question in a sequence of questions.  Then the new item is avaialble later to add to a constructed list down the road.
answered Nov 22, 2012 by Aaron Hill Silver Sawtooth Software, Inc. (8,065 points)
Putting the additional item on the parent list and making constructed lists for the questions that had been using that list took care of the issue.  Thanks!
0 votes
Aaron is spot on.

I can give you a quick example to assist.

If I had a parent list with 5 items ...

1 Item 1
2 Item 2
3 Item 3
4 Item 4
5 Item 5

... and we wanted to add 1 more item to this parent list which was determined on how another question was asked, we could add in a new item 6 to the parent list which could be something like this ...

6 [%ListLabel(Q1ConList,1)%]

... where Q1ConList is a constructed list that gets all the brands you have used in the last 12 months at Q1. Assume that constructed list is randomised, then item 6 grabs the 1st code from that constructed brand list  and slots it into the new parent list you have.

So the new parent list would now look like this ...

1 Item 1
2 Item 2
3 Item 3
4 Item 4
5 Item 5
6 [%ListLabel(Q1ConList,1)%]
answered Nov 22, 2012 by Paul Moon Platinum (61,560 points)