Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Simple Question: How to input hours and minutes

I should know the answer to this one, but can't seem to figure it out.   I have a grid of activities and want to ask respondents about the time it takes to complete each activity with possible times ranging from 1 minute to 4 hours.  Is it possible to create a grid that shows the activities in rows and a column for hours (input or dropdown) and a column for minutes (input or dropdown)?  From what I understand, only one response is available per row.
asked Mar 20 by dpatek (265 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
If you set this up as a column-oriented grid question, you could apply the hour list to the first column and the minute list to the second column.  Or, if using numeric instead of dropdowns, this would allow you to set unique maximum values.

If you are using Lighthouse Studio, you'll probably want to disable mobile grids when doing this.
answered Mar 20 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (144,125 points)
Thanks, Zachary.  Will the column orientation allow responses for every row?   I assumed that the column orientation only allowed one row per column.   Also, what will mobile users see if I disable mobile grids?
You can use any many rows or columns as you want in grid questions of either orientation.  They only affect each other in the ways you'd expect: only one radio button can be selected, constant sum totals have to be met, etc.

With the setting disabled, mobile users will see the same table layout seen by desktop users.
Thanks, Zachary!  That's good to hear.  I assumed the other question types were limited in the same way as radio buttons.