Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Display response given to previous mulitple-select question

Hi all,

I have a question regarding a multiple-response follow-up question.
First, i have a multiple-response question:
1 A
2 B
3 C
4 D
5 E

Second, i want to ask a follow-up question on only on one of the selected responses based on a ranking.  So for example the ranking is B,D,C,E,A. Then i want to ask a follow-up question on B, but if the respondent did not select B, i want tot ask a follow-up question on D. If respondent did also not select B, i want to ask a question about C, if not then E and so forth.

Third, i want to show the respondent on which answer i ask the follow-question. So i want to use a code like [% label(1)%] in the question.

Does someone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen
asked Mar 20 by Jeroen

1 Answer

0 votes
I'm not sure I follow where the ranking question is in this process, but it sounds like you want to start by creating a constructed list whose parent is the same list used in the multi-select question.  Its instructions could just be:

AIC(SelectQ)

where "SelectQ" is the name of the multi-select question, but the instructions might need something else depending on how the ranking question fits into all this.

Then you can create a loop in the Write Questionnaire window.  The loop can be applied to the follow-up question and set to use this constructed list.  In the question, you can call the LoopLabel function to display the label of the item in question.
answered Mar 20 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (144,125 points)
Thanks for your response!
I don't think i made myself clear enough so i will try to explain it again.

In Q1 the respondent has to select products he/she is using:
- product A
- product B
- product C
- product D
- product E
- none of the above

The rest of the survey is about 1 of the products the respondent uses.
We prefer to ask questions about product A, but if the respondent is not using product A, we would like to gain information about product B. If the respondent is also not using product B, then we want to ask questions about product C.

But if the respondent selects multiple products, we have to tell about which product we ask the questions. Therefore, i want to use the labels in the question.

With the ranking, i mean that if the respondent selects more than 1 produts, we do not want to pick randomly which of the product we ask the other questions on. Instead, we prefer to ask questions about certain products above others.  So i need (1) to know which syntax to use to pick 1 of the products if multiple responses to ask the other questions about (2) how to show the respondent which product the questions are about

I hope this is more clear.
Oh, I see.  In that case, I think you could use the constructed list from above, but with some modified instructions.

If the predefined list is ordered from best to worst already, then you can use these instructions:

AIC(Q1)
SortByValue()
ListMax(1)

If not, we'll need to call AIC over each item in order from best to worst.  For example:

AIC(Q1, 3)
AIC(Q1, 1)
AIC(Q1, 2)
AIC(Q1, 4)
ListMax(1)

Now you have a constructed list with the selected product.  You can call the ListLabel function to print out the item wherever you need it.
This doesn't factor in the possibility of a respondent selecting none of the products, but I assume you probably already have a skip or something that takes care of those respondents.
Thank you very much! It worked out!