Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Blending maxdiff scores from mutilanguage survey

WHats the best way of doing this... I have seven language versions of the same survey that I wish to blend together (or at least their maxdiff parts) and then do a logit / latent class aalysis on the combined set.

Whats the best way of going about doing this this so that I can end up using the data and analysis tool in sawtooth?
asked Nov 15 by Lee W

1 Answer

0 votes
If you are using Lighthouse Studio, you need to keep in mind that when you push the Generate Design button in the software, the design is given a unique numeric ID.  This is stored in the data when respondents take the survey as a kind of fail safe to make sure their answers are appropriate for the design your survey has loaded up on your computer.  If you make a change to a design and push the Generate Design button again, you will get a different set of questions with a different design ID.  You will also need to generate a design if you delete all the items from a MaxDiff list and then paste in replacements in a different language.

So, the easiest way to do this is to make the survey in its entirety in one language (say, English).  Generate your design, then do a File -> Save Study As to make a copy of the survey.  Then, under File -> Translation you can export out either an Excel spreadsheet or a special translation document (XLF), put in the translated text, and import it the translation back into the copy of the survey.

This will preserve all the survey skip logic, design settings, etc. so that the data from the second survey can simply be copied and pasted together in Excel prior to importing it all back into the English survey for analysis.
answered Nov 15 by Brian McEwan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (40,095 points)