Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Too many prohibitions - already fielded

I didn't realize the adverse affect that prohibitions had on the validity of the conjoint, so i fielded the survey and now the standard errors in the test design are starred out

i know this is bad, but is there any way to salvage the data??
asked Nov 8 by anonymous

2 Answers

0 votes
Yes, this bad - usually this means you have a disaster on your hands.  

On very rare occasions, however, the situation is salvageable.  If you want to send me your study (keith@sawtoothsoftware.com) I'll be happy to take a look at it.  I'll need the .ssi file, the .cgi file and the .db3 file.

I don't want to over-promise, however, as by far the most likely result is that you'll have a disaster on your hands and I'll advise you to refield the survey.
answered Nov 8 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (80,225 points)
0 votes
It's often possible to salvage the data, but it depends exactly on the nature of the  problem. Typically, since the task was logical to the respondents, it's a matter of respecifying the underlying statistical model and rerunning after that's been fixed.

I would recommend talking to our support team at support@sawtoothsoftware.com. They'll need to look at your study files and your data to see exactly what would need to be done.
answered Nov 8 by Kenneth Fairchild Bronze Sawtooth Software, Inc. (3,820 points)
Sometimes by collapsing two attributes that had too many prohibitions into a single attribute listing the shown two-way combinations of levels (this requires some data manipulation) the data might be able to be saved.  Keith and the support team here at Sawtooth Software are great resources.