Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Do I need help from a professional consultant to be able to develop and analyze professional conjoint surveys?

asked Oct 12, 2012 by anonymous

5 Answers

+1 vote
It depends on the nature of your survey.  As a software company first, we believe we've made the software easy enough to use that someone does not need any special training or background to design, field, and analyze conjoint exercises.

Now, it doesn't mean that you can't get in to trouble and field a bad design or do something else incorrectly.  If you are willing to spend some time with our tutorials and read some help files, you should be able to turn right around and do your own study (as long as you aren't doing anything fancy).

We also provide free, unlimited technical support when you purchase a license, so it's not uncommon for someone to give us a call and chat for a few minutes about their study as a last check before they go into field.  We consider such discussions part of our technical support.
answered Oct 12, 2012 by Brian McEwan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (37,810 points)
0 votes
The answer is no. The Tutorials are pretty good and you get help with difficult probles in this forum.  I am a student and was able to make my first conjoint within a couple of days.
answered Oct 12, 2012 by T.K. (330 points)
0 votes
I would say yes, since you mention "analyzing professional surveys" in your question. Being a beginner , you would not even knownwhere you might make a mistake. this in turn would hurt your reputation and trustworthiness in the field
answered Oct 12, 2012 by Bahadir Ozkurt Gold (16,830 points)
0 votes
I think it depends on several factors (how important are the results, how complex is the problem you are trying to model, what level of statistical sophistication do you possess).  If the problem is not complex, the answer not very important or your level of statistical acumen high, then you probably do not need a professional consultant.  If, however, the market you are trying to model is complex, the results are crucial to the end client or your statistical skills are rusty, then I would recommend at least engaging a professional to watch over your shoulder while you run your first study as insurance.  This can protect you against taking on a lot of risk yourself while still allowing you to do the hands on of design and analysis so that you can learn.
answered Oct 12, 2012 by anonymous
IMHO it is getting so that today's statistical software is getting too easy to use, the GUI specifically, thus allowing casual users of the profession's tools to do "high-powered" studies and data analysis when, for one, the data doesn't even meet the model's assumptions. This is dangerous and can lead to false or even costly interpretations.

Tutorials do help but they tend toward the specific model and not, at least usually, to the affect of being wrongly used.

Does one need a "professional consultant?" Probably not but that doesn't mean that the novice shouldn't seek out advice from reliable sources (like a forum such as this) BEFORE moving forward.
0 votes
I would say yes.....although sawtooth have made programming and analysis very easy but still there are some key steps which if missed can hamper your data. I have vast experience in this area. If you want, I can voluntary help you without any cost. I like to help the newbies and promote conjoint in the industry. Contact me at sholim.sen@knowledgexcel.in
answered Oct 13, 2012 by sholim.sen (200 points)