Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Show a video in v8 without using YouTube

I want to show respondents a video file in v8, but I don't want to use YouTube because there is no way to prevent respondents from saving the video link and sharing it with others. Is there code to activate a non-YouTube player in v8?
asked Oct 6, 2012 by anonymous
retagged Oct 6, 2012 by Walter Williams
Hello, we frequently use proprietary video content that cannot be placed on a public server. Clients we have brought up the option of putting a video on YouTube HATE the option and expect us to be able to have a video that can be viewed on every type of device out there (including apple devices) and also be located on our servers. I just tried HTML5 for the first time for this and it seems to be working fairly smoothly on all devices (with the exception of Android , which is a little wonky).

Here is the code:
Put this in your global header or the advanced head tag for the question page that has the video;

<script src="http://api.html5media.info/1.1.5/html5media.min.js"></script>

then here is the embed code for your video (this one autoplays):

<video src="awesomevideo.mp4" width="600" height="409" controls preload autoplay></video>

I hope this helps. If anyone has more code to ensure this plays on all Android devices, please feel free to add on to this thread.

1 Answer

0 votes
There's no full-proof way to prevent people from recording video and sharing it, (can always just take a video of their screen if it comes down to it) but depending on how much effort you want to put in you can make it a lot more difficult. The Adobe Media Server has some features that allow you to prevent recording streams and only letting authorized people view them.

Have used the strobe media playback framework for self hosted videos a lot which at least prevents people from sharing the youtube links and searching your videos, and they would probably only be able to access the links from within your survey. There are some other similar projects too for hosting your own videos. (JW Player comes to mind) These also give you more options than an embedded youtube when integrating them in your survey. Can for instance set it to not allow you to continue until the video completed event is triggered.

As quick and dirty method to embed a video without youtube, upload the video file (.flv or .mp4 works)  to your server and enter the url here: www.osmf.org/configurator/fmp/
answered Oct 10, 2012 by Nolan Kaplan Bronze (4,090 points)
edited Oct 10, 2012 by Nolan Kaplan