Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Is it necessary to show attribute level price in BYO section in ACBC? What will be pros and cons?

We are conducting an ACBC study where we have 10 attributes. Brand is one of the attribute where there are premium brands and non premium brands. The price difference between these two levels is very high. Now our concern is, in the BYO section when we are showing the price of individual levels there might be a bias for the non premium segment. As in reality people make the trade-off on the basis of total price, they does not have a visibility if individual level price.

Can we do the BYO section without price? Then what will be pros and cons?

Thanks for the help in advance.
asked Sep 3 by sanmit1988 (460 points)

2 Answers

0 votes

Best answer
Hi Sanmit, I believe your question is related to the pros and cons of showing the price in BYO.

I dont know if this is absolutely correct but here is my perspective:

If we don't associate price for each component, the respondent tends to select the best possible feature available and would not know which components are making my concept expensive.  If he wants to control the price, he will either take up too much time in checking which level is effecting the price or will proceed with a higher total price.

The idea of BYO is to find near neighbours of levels selected in BYO and create relevant concepts for screener section.  We may end up showing concepts with a higher price if  they had selected all good levels. If total price is more than they wish to purchase then they will mark most of the concepts as Not a possibility which further increases none utility.  

Thus, we always prefer to show the component level price and sometimes even validate the total configured price with the prior budget / average spending question.
answered Sep 4 by Saurabh Aggarwal Gold (31,425 points)
selected Sep 6 by sanmit1988
0 votes
You have the flexibility to include or disinclude individual attributes from the BYO.  In fact, it's a common practice not to include attributes with known preference orders in the BYO since we already know what they are.
answered Sep 3 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (75,350 points)