Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Express MaxDiff Segmentation

I would like to run a segmentation/clustering on HB (normalized) utilities from an Express MaxDiff study. Is it valid to run a segmentation given that in an Express MaxDiff a particular respondents' utilities is estimated from information that is 'borrowed' from other respondents?
asked Jul 1 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
Hmmm, this would not be my first choice.  

Express MaxDiff works great for sample-level utilities, but we know that the respondent-level  correlations between Express MaxDiff utilities and the utilities that would come from a standard MaxDiff aren't all that highly correlated.  So I could imagine the segments might differ quite a bit from what you would have found with a more valid set of respondent-level utilities.  

That said, if all you have are Express MaxDiff utilities and you want to do utility-based segmentation, then you don't have a lot of options do you?  As long as you can live with the caveat that the utilities aren't ideal for segmentation, I'm sure you could give it a try.
answered Jul 1 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (79,225 points)