Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Trap questions

Hi,

I have read an article that emphasizes the importance of attention checker questions and recommends using one easy trap question towards the end of the survey. Does anybody have any experience in using such technique and is welling to share it with us?

Regards'
asked Jun 18 by AMYN Bronze (1,335 points)
One consideration to keep in mind is that these kinds of questions can do more than just check for attention in the survey.  Once a respondent has seen  an attention check they may alter how they approach additional
 questions. In other words the attention check becomes a kind of intervention (Hauser,  2015). This is not to suggest you should not use them. Just an FYI.
Thank you for bringing that up.
that is why I put the question towards the end of the survey

1 Answer

+2 votes
I could provide a simple example that I have had some clients use.

"This question is an example of the test questions we will be asking you throughout the survey, to ensure you are focused and reading the questions carefully.  We need to ask these questions to ensure the quality of the data we collect."

Please select the response ‘Blue’ from the list below. Please select one response only.

1-Green
2-Yellow
3-Blue
4-Purple
5-Orange
6-Black
7-White
8-Pink
9-Silver
10-Brown

You can insert a small bunch of ATTENTION CHECKER questions in your survey to observe how focused the respondent is. You can warn the respondent if they answer the question incorrectly, or you can filter out respondents after the survey is closed if they answer these questions incorrectly.

I suggest you monitor these questions during field work via the admin module.
answered Jun 18 by Paul Moon Platinum (76,050 points)
Thank you very much, Paul, for your detailed answer.

I have added one simple checker towards the end of the questionnaire as my survey is quite lengthy alongside with other measures that you mentioned (alerting them if they are answering very fast & warn them if the answer is incorrect)

Have a nice day
Ahmed