Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Create List of Top 3 from MaxDiff Exercise for follow-up question

I have a project with two different MaxDiff Exercises.  One has 13 items and the other has 7 items.  My client is asking if I can ask a question after the exercise that would show the top 3 items from the MaxDiff Exercise.  So, ultimately I want to know how (if) I can create a constructed list of the top 3 items.  I know there is a function MaxDiffRankAttValue which could perform on the fly computations, but I'm not clear on what steps are necessary.  Can I just create a list using that function or are other steps needed?  For example, if I have a MaxDiff called Exercise1 that uses a list called ItemList could I create a constructed list as follows to get the top 3 items from that exercise?  

ADD (ItemList, MaxDiffRankAttValue(Exercise1,1))
ADD (ItemList, MaxDiffRankAttValue(Exercise1,2))
ADD (ItemList, MaxDiffRankAttValue(Exercise1,3))
asked Jun 7 by Jay Rutherford Gold (31,940 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
Hi Jay,

Yes, that should work for you exactly as you suggest. You don't need other steps to, say, compute the scores first. The function call itself triggers the score computation, and you can do it inline as an argument in another function just as you wrote it.

Aaron
answered Jun 7 by Aaron Hill Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (10,095 points)
selected Jun 7 by Jay Rutherford
Fantastic!  I was afraid I was oversimplifying things.  Ultimately, my client is looking to get the top 3 from each exercise and then ask them to choose the overall top 3 from that list of 6.  So, I should be able to create a list pulling the top 3 from each and then ask a ranking question using that list.