Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Can I insert a question after the ACBC_BYO question has been asked

I am working on an ACBC exercise for a client.    

Background information on the ACBC:

There are 12 attributes including price within the ACBC_BYO (ACBC Build-Your-Own).

The client would like the respondent to see all 12 attributes, levels and prices to make his/her selection.

BEFORE, the respondent is shown the screening task questions,  the client would like to ask the respondent out of the 12 attributes to choose the top 8 attributes,  then based on these 8 selections the remaining ACBC exercise will be asked (e.g. screening task, unacceptable, must have, choice task tournament).

I have never inserted a question after the ACBC_BYO and was wondering if it is possible to do and  if yes, how would I accomplish this task.

I have added a question prior to the ACBC_BYO displaying all attributes and asked the respondent to select his/her top attributes and based the ACBC_BYO on this constructed list but never after the ACBC_BYO question.

Thank you in advance for any help regarding this request.
asked May 13 by Sandra

2 Answers

0 votes
You can add survey questions, plain text screens, etc anywhere during the ACBC questions.  

However, you cannot change the conjoint attribute list (the list of attributes and levels per attribute) once you've started the BYO questions.  So, you'll need to do this in the way you say you've done before.  But, for the interest of others who might be reading this post...

When researchers want to have the respondent screen the top n most important attributes and use those attributes within the ACBC survey, the typical procedure is:

1) Introduce the respondents to the full list of attributes and ask the respondent to indicate their top n attributes that affect their choice.  This question can be asked as a Select question or a drag-and-drop sorting question.  (Often, price is not asked about in this question; but is always forced into the ACBC section).

Based on the responses to this preliminary question, only the attributes of most importance are moved onto the constructed list of attributes used in the ACBC exercise.

2) Ask the ACBC BYO question, only of the attributes of most importance as learned from the previous Select or sorting question.

3) Ask the ACBC Screeners section.

4) Ask the ACBC Tournament section.

5) (Optionally) ask the ACBC Calibration Concepts section.
answered May 13 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (164,290 points)
0 votes
Hi Sandra,

We have posted something similar on LinkedIN Sawtooth Software user forum last year:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6514484917378777089

Here we had prepared a dummy BYO page and let user specify the attributes he wish to exclude.

Original BYO takes only those attribute which user chose to include and further sections are administered for only those attributes.

Regards,
Saurabh
answered May 14 by Saurabh Aggarwal Gold (31,425 points)