Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Anchored MaxDiff In application

Hi,

I wanted to know if it is possible to use Anchored MaxDiff in health economic studies and how could that be done?

I am using Case 2 MaxcDiff to describe some health states based on a certain tool and I want to use Death as the anchor value Zero, then compare other health states (utilities) to this anchor & the part-with utilities to it too.

Classically we use a different utility evaluating method that produces direct utilities (part-worths) between -1 & 1 then map the MaxDiff results to it, but I was wondering if this could be done within the MaxDiff itself without using another source of comparative utilities, since Originally yet utilities from MaxDiff are not bound to 0-1 (Death and Life"- is worst than death".

Regards'
asked May 6 by AMYN Bronze (1,335 points)
reopened May 6 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

+1 vote
To answer your initial question (refer to the answer for the other post for details about rebasing Best-Worst Case 2 utilities) yes, it is possible to use anchored MaxDiff in health economics studies.  

But anchoring is something we typically do with Best-Worst Case 1.  If I understand your question correctly it's more about having death be the reference level than it is about anchoring (anchoring puts a data-driven anchor or reference point in the utilities that typically separates positive from negative items, or important from unimportant items, etc.  It doesn't obviously make as much sense for Best-Worst Case 2 studies.
answered May 6 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (75,875 points)