Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Follow up on analysis by US Region versus States

Hey folks,  

A few days ago the hive helped me make sure I have the right approach for asking respondents what STATE they live in but having quotas by REGION of the US they live in (e.g. Midwest, South, Northeast, West).  I have a followup question.  The analysis package in Lighthouse allows me to Segment based on State because I'm explicitly asking that - but since I'm not explicitly asking Region as a question I don't see a way to segment that way.  Is there a clever way to segment based on a field generated by the way the respondent responds to a specific question?

In other words, if they select  CT, ME, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI or Vt I would put them in a region entitled "Northeast, etc.  and could then segment automatically within Lighthouse this way.  

Can this be done?  

Thanks for your help!
asked Apr 22 by Davef_dci (180 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Yes, but you'll have to go into "Analysis | Filters" and create a filter for each region. Then use "Analysis | Segments and Weights" to arrange those filters into a new segment variable, which you will then be able to use in your analysis.
answered Apr 23 by Aaron Hill Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (10,095 points)
Aaron, I'm sorry. I'm new to Lighthouse. Where is Analysis | Filters? I'm not seeing that as a menu option.  Thanks!
You could also just export the data to Excel and build a lookup table if you're more familiar with that.  Then import back in a CSV file with the respondent number in column 1 and the new categorical variable in column 2 and append it to all the other survey data.